Among the Society’s treasured artifacts are two items currently on long-term loan to the Independence Seaport Museum on Philadelphia’s Delaware River waterfront.
The Perry Medal
The Perry Medal had been presented to the Society by Captain Harris C. Aller, in memory of GEORGE BERTRAM REGAR, the first Captain of the Color Guard of the Society. He served in 1945 and 1946.
Description of the Perry Medal
Material: Silver presentation medal in walnut stand
Subject: Oliver Hazard Perry
Artist: Moritz Furst
Country/City of Origin: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America; U.S. Mint – Philadelphia
Description: Obverse – Head and shoulders of Oliver Hazard Perry in Naval Uniform; Inscription – “Oliverus H. Perry. Princepts Stagno Eriense Star Classim Totam Contudit,”;
Reverse – View of Battle of Lake Erie; Inscription – “Biam Invenit Bertus Aut Facit Interclass. Ameri. Et Brit. Die X Sep. MDCCCXIII. Furst F.”
Walnut display stand in shape of headstone with on obverse at top the insignia of the Society of the War of 1812 enameled brass. Brass plaque on base inscribed – “In memory of George Bertram Regar. First Captain of the Color Guard.”
Diameter of medal: 2.5 inches
Stand: 6.5 inches x 6.5 inches
Remarks and References: The silver medal was probably presented to one of Perry’s lieutenants. Moritz Furst engraved the majority of these Congressional medals for the heroes of the War of 1812.
The paragraph on Page 6 of the Independence Seaport Museum’s “Spindrift” magazine for Fall 1979 reads: “In addition to the Decatur platter, the Society has loaned a silver medal which commemorates the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. The Congress of the United States presented these medals to the heroes of the War of 1812. The medal bore the picture of the battle leader (in this example Oliver Hazard Perry) and, on the reverse a scene of the battle. Usually the commander received the gold medal, his lieutenants silver, and the crew or troops bronze medals. After a period of display in our Recent Acquisitions Case these War of 1812 items will be incorporated into the “Waterways of History” gallery.